2018 – A year in the life of Alberta Food Tours, Inc. (AFT)
Thought for the year – “There is only success.” Sadhguru
AFT conducted 373 tours in 2018. We served close to 2000 guests. We employed 20 guides.
Corporate tour clients included: DIRTT, ATB, Bennett-Jones, Restaurants Canada, Focus on the Family, Pinnacle Renewable Energy, Crystal Dental, Pensak Houghton Dental, Caldwell, Enbridge, and Backstreet Creative
- AFT became a member of Banff Lake Louise Tourism.
- There is lots of travel throughout Alberta meeting with all our vendor partners to review the previous year, scout new partners as needed, and plan for the new year.
- Launched both our Craving Kensington tour and the Calgary Farmers’ Market tour for the year this month.
- Our operations manager Callandra Caufield attended a Travel Alberta tourism development conference called “SHiFT” to help us develop a new culinary experience in Banff.
- AFT featured in The New York Times article, “36 hours in Calgary” by Elaine Glusac
- Our president, Karen Anderson, designed and delivered a 3.5-day culinary itinerary around Southern Alberta for Travel Alberta for 12 Japanese tour operators.
- We delivered our first “Peak to Peak” tour in Banff for a group of adventure travel operators, writers, and agents.
- Karen judged the first ever Cochon 555 event at the Fairmont Banff Springs.
- Tour guide member training starts up.
- Launched Savour 17 SW, Inglewood Edibles in Calgary and Canmore Tasting Trail for the year.
- Callandra Caufield was nominated for the Lead by Example and Mayor’s White Hat award and team member Barbara Connolly was nominated for Best Tour Guide at Tourism Calgary’s White Hat Awards.
- Karen begins Level 2 beekeeping course with Apiaries and Bees for Communities under the mentorship of Eliese Watson.
- Food Artisans of Alberta by Karen Anderson and Matilda Sanchez-Turri is published by Touchwood Editions.
- We launched two brand new tours this month: Edmonton’s Strathcona Brunch and Bakery Tour plus Eat the Castle at the Fairmont Banff Springs.
- AFT runs the #FoodArtisansofAlberta Instagram contest each long weekend in summer to promote Alberta food producers.
- We launch our popular Edmonton tour: Downtown Delights.
- Karen judged the annual Chili Cook-Off at the Calgary Farmers’ Market.
- AFT team member Liane Faulder showcased her award-winning play, Walk, at the Edmonton International Fringe Fest.
- Karen led her seventh cuisine and culture tour to India – in partnership with Indus Travels and HiTours – taking 20 guests to Delhi, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Jaipur, Agra, and Kolkata.
- AFT hosts journalists from around the globe for Go Media in Calgary and Canmore.
- AFT’s Eat the Castle tour featured in Avenue Magazine article Dine at Four Fairmont Banff Springs Restaurants on a New Tour with Alberta Food Tours by Elizabeth Chorney-Booth
- Karen and Callandra attend Travel Alberta’s Canada’s West Marketplace; had 46 appointments with tour operators from around the globe.
- Karen graduates as a Travel Alberta scholar after three years in the mentorship program.
- Private tours and the Eat the Castle tour continued until December 20.
We are deeply grateful to each and every guest and look forward to 2019 and another chance to EAT, ENJOY and EXPLORE Alberta with you.
Founder, Owner, President and CEO
Alberta Food Tours, Inc.