10 Hidden Gem Food Stops in Lacombe County, Alberta
For this week’s Insider List we travel to Lacombe County for 10 hidden gem food stops worth discovering.
- Blindman Brewing has 24 beers on tap and their own restaurant called Local Taqueria. They serve Alberta produce in light Mexican food to complement their brews.
- With about 125 craft breweries in Alberta now, downtown Lacombe eatery Cilantro and Chive keeps a rotation of 25 Alberta on tap. Patrons can also enjoy their famous Caesar’s with towering toppings like a double decker, thick and juicy cheeseburger.
- In the hamlet of Alix, Sweet Crumbs Cakery has sticky buns to die for.
- In Lacombe, enjoy the all-day breakfast menu at Milk Oak Café and Catering where the skillets full of local goodness are a specialty.
- Also in Lacombe, East Side Eatery satiates with a variety of sandwiches but “The Gobbler” with fresh roasted turkey and stuffing is a favourite. Pro Tip: Save room for a slice of their homemade seasonal cheesecakes.
- Tollers Bistro is where go for a coffee and their homemade donuts in Lacombe. Popcorn and Salted Caramel topping anyone? The owners shop at the local farmers’ market for ingredients to raise the bar on flavour in their homemade soups and sandwiches.
- Continuing west to Gull Lake, The Wooden Shoe is a local’s hidden gem that sells specialty Dutch brands of cheese, frikandel sausages, spices, baking kits, and candy. This cozy spot is also a full-service restaurant that does whooping ice cream parlour sales in summer.
- In the town of Eckville, Boxcar Grill is the home of some of the tastiest burgers in Alberta. There are only three choices for these hand-formed flavour bombs but with their grilled buns and dense grind of Alberta beef they’re thick, dripping with juiciness, and totally worth the drive.
- In Blackfalds, Piccolo’s Pizza and Pasta is not only popular for their pizza but we have it on good authority they have some of the best BBQ ribs in Alberta.
- People drive from all over Lacombe County to get their sushi fix at Okinawa Sushi in Blackfalds. They are long-standing favourite and have earned local’s loyalty.