Our List of Best Indian Restaurants in Calgary
Did you know that our founder, Karen Anderson, is an award-winning Indian cookbook author? With her beloved mentor, Noorbanu Nimji, she wrote A Spicy Touch – Family Favourites from Noorbanu Nimji’s Kitchen. It won both IPPY and Taste Canada Silver medals and was recently featured in Serious Eats magazine.
Between 2012 and 2018 Karen led seven cuisine and culture trips to India for Alberta Food Tours. And, she’s been there a few other times on her own to visit friends and to pursue her passion for yoga and meditation at Isha Yoga Centre.
With her photographer collaborator, Pauli-Ann Carriere, she is working on a book about South Indian cooks and their culture called Faces, Places and Plates – A South Indian Road Trip. They’ve spent months on the ground in India doing research. You can follow the progress of the book here.
Back here in Alberta, Karen is sought after to research and write about Indian restaurants and food. Recently, she even had the fun job of judging Calgary’s Best Butter Chicken. More on that soon! Given her knowledge and enjoyment in exploring Indian food abroad and at home, we thought you might enjoy her list of favourite Indian Restaurants in Calgary. They are in no particular order. But, they are all good or they wouldn’t have made her list!
Our Favourite Indian Restaurants in Calgary
- Maharajah – 912-10 Discovery Ridge Hill SW | 403-246-0800 – this is where Karen orders take-out from. The owner Raj makes consistently delicious food.
- Fahad Restaurant – 1009 – 5075 Falconridge Blvd, NE | 403- 590-9797 – formerly Nirvana, now owned by Faisal (see below).
- Faisal’s Kabab Hut – #155 – 5120 – 47 St NE | 403-590-7101 – amazing Pakistani cuisine. Try the Seakh kebab or fish tandoori. Note – Faisal’s also runs a place called Fatima at 76 – 55 Castleridge Blvd NE – same food just nicer decor.
- Clay Oven – 1 – 3131 27 St NE | 403-250-2161 – the best Naan in town, fresh from their clay ovens. Gurmeet Gill was the wonderful cook who founded the restaurant. His son, Balpreet took over the restaurant and moved it to its current stylish digs. He also moved the clay ovens out front so you can see the delicious kebabs and breads being cooked.
- Mirchi – 101, 825 – 12 Ave SW | 403-245-3663 – this version of Mirchi is mainly for take out. They only have a few seats for dine in. The Mirchi Kebab is spicy hot and good!
- Mirchi Restaurant – 1130 – 76 Westwinds Crescent NE | 587-623-7585 – this Mirchi opened in 2021. It’s their dine-in restaurant with elegant silver and grey decor with furniture, art and artifacts from Pakistan. And the food is divine.
- Rajdoot – 2424 – 4 St SW | 403-245-0181 – good vegetarian selection.
- Raj Palace – three locations – so special because they feature South Indian food and Dosas and their executive chef was one of the best in South India before they recruited him to Calgary.
- The Himalayan – 3218 17th Ave SW – 403-984-3384 – Nepali cuisine – lots of gluten-free options – newly renovated – make a reservation – it’s packed. They also do take-out.
- Dostana (formerly A Touch of India) 3 locations – tasty Indian with East African influence. Very good butter chicken.
- Cinnamon – 1207 11 Ave SW | 403-470-5077 – lovely interior in yellows and grey. One of the best butter chickens in Calgary. They do lots of catering.
- Safari Grill – 255 – 28 St SE | 403-235-6655 – owned by Ali and Salina Moledina, the food is impeccable East Africa meets Indian fusion. Originally from Tanzania, this couple serves beautifully prepared Khoja Ismaili food. And the decor is super fun East African Safari, just like the name suggests.
- Masala Bhavan – 4604 – 37 St SW | 403-667-3540 – This is where Karen frequently goes for the vegetarian food and the dosas!
- Moti Mahal – 1805 14 St SW | 403-228-9990 – one of Calgary’s longest running restaurants and for a good reason. Owner Jesse’s pick is the Papaya Prawn Curry.
- Indie Counter Culture – 126 10 St NW | 403-970-9129 – all the sandwiches and street food snacks are tasty but get the Butter Chicken Poutine! It’s sumptuous.
- Calcutta Cricket Club – 340 17 Ave SW | 403 -719-1555 – contemporary pan-Indian food with an emphasis on Kolkata’s Kathi Rolls and other Bengali delicacies. Thirst quenching beers and gin drinks in a stunning setting that was awarded Canada’s top restaurant design. Alberta Food Tours has proudly partnered with CCC on our former Savour 17 Ave SW tours.