11 things to do for Alberta Foodies in August
Here are 11 things to do for Alberta Foodies in August. From festivals, classes, al fresco dinners and restaurant dine-arounds to Open Farm Days, this is the month to take in all the bounty this province has to offer.
- Starting Thursday, August 3, Taste of Calgary returns for its 24th year. This four-day festival is a chance for visitors to taste the city’s diverse cuisines. It’s a little known fact, Calgary is Canada’s third most diverse city.
- August 5 is Food Day Canada! If you subscribe to our newsletter, you’d be getting Karen’s special celebration menu straight from her new cookbook, Eat Alberta First.
- On Sunday, August 13, you can join a local food expert and Alberta Food Tours’ guide in Edmonton’s historic Strathcona district for a three hour art, culture, and food walking tour called Savoury and Sweet Strathcona.
- Alberta on the Plate runs from August 11 to 20. This 9-day dine around event showcases bounty grown and produced in the province. Visit the Alberta on the Plate website to see all the participating restaurants from Peace River to Lethbridge and everywhere in between.
- Learn to preserve and ferment at Awn Kitchen in Edmonton on August 16.
- The Old Red Barn in Leduc still has some availability for the Farm to Table dinners in August and September. August 17 you can meet 5th Gen farmer Kristin Graves!
- The Crossfield Farmers’ Market is holding their second annual long table dinner on August 19. Get details here.
- Brewery and the Beast is set to return to Calgary on Sunday, August 27. This meaty outdoor culinary experience features chefs cooking up locally sourced products and aims for the guests to conscientious consumers that focus on buying locally.
- In Banff, Alberta Food Tours hosts guests Wednesday through Friday at the Fairmont Banff Springs for a luxury 3-hour food tour called Eat the Castle.
- Alberta Open Farm Days is the weekend of August 19 and 20. This event gives Albertans an opportunity to visit where their food comes from. There is also a list of culinary events hosted by some of the province’s most talented chefs using Alberta-grown products.
- On August 27th, Alberta Food Tours leads its monthly tour at the new Calgary Farmers’ Market West. You’ll enjoy a light brunch, taste your way through the market with an expert local guide, and leave with recipes, shopping lists and treats.
Got an event you’d like us to know about for September? Drop us a line at [email protected] – If it meets our editorial requirements, we might include it in a blog or newsletter. Note: we are editorial and this content is not sponsored.