Top 10 Places For Sourdough In Alberta
One heels of National Sourdough Day we wanted to share our Top 10 Places For Sourdough in Alberta. Alberta grows great grains and we’ve got smart bakers taking advantage of that.
And, beyond that, sourdough has health benefits. The natural leavening process that takes place slowly before baking pre-digests the sugars and wheat. It makes the resulting loaves easier to digest. Plus, the extra time means flavour development resulting good that tastes GREAT! Here’s our list:
- Calgary’s Sidewalk Citizen sourdough “mother” got its start in 2009. And, it’s been nurtured and developed with daily feedings to keep it fresh with a relatively sweet flavour. If you haven’t had a Sidewalk Citizen sourdough croissant you are missing out on one of life’s greatest pleasures.
- Here’s a great insider tip: You can buy fresh sourdough from the talented bakers and culinary apprentices at the Fairmont Banff Springs daily at their STOCK outlet in the lobby of the hotel. And in summer, you’ll find it Wednesdays at the Banff Farmers’ Market.
- Every day you’ll find racks of fresh-from-the-oven sourdough at Wild Flour Bakery in Banff. Their stone hearth oven gives their breads a great crunchy crust.
- Bon Ton Bakery in Edmonton often uses flour from Gold Forest Grains from Morinville in their loaves. This collaboration means you’re doubly supporting local when you try their Alpine Rye Sourdough made with 70 percent dark rye flour form Gold Forest.
- A visit to Yum Bakery in Calgary means a chance to pick up their mixed olive sourdough. Olive lovers crave the “yum” mix of Kalamata and green olives. It’s great alongside pasta.
- Boulangerie Bonjour in Edmonton specializes in pain au levain (French for sourdough). They also pride themselves on freshly milling their own flours.
- Edmonton Brio Bakery’s head baker Todd Barraclough attended the San Francisco Baking Institute where he learned to let local yeasts develop naturally. Because of this, each loaf at Brio takes between 30 to 40 hours from fermentation to finished product. You can taste the love.
- The head baker at the Uprising Craft Bakery in Canmore, Pat has over 20 years of experience and a European baking background. A true sourdough specialist, we are excited to share that Uprising will soon be opening a new retail location in downtown Canmore.
- Manuel Latruwe patrons in Calgary know to arrive to early in the day as products, including the sourdough, often sell out. Pro Tip: Double down with a sourdough sandwich for lunch and take a loaf home for dinner.
- Canmore’s JK Bakery Cafe has added their sourdough to the daily menu of breads because it’s so popular. This doesn’t guarantee you a loaf so be sure to get there before noon to avoid disappointment.